May 9, 2009

Nancy Drew (2007)

Disney young adult movies are just not what they used to be and I really didn't want this new production to mar the image of Nancy Drew that I've held firmly in my head since I was 11, but I finally decided to pick this movie up for the sole purpose of checking out Nancy's amazing 1950s inspired outfits. And at least on that front, I wasn't disappointed! (b/c the rest of the movie - the bad dialogue, the cheesy one-liners, the ridiculous acting, etc. - were all otherwise completely gag-worthy).

Now, this movie is supposed to be set in modern day, but I love how Nancy's retro look is incorporated seamlessly. Especially now that vintage is back in fashion, her choice of outfits really don't strike me as outrageously anachronistic at all.

nancydrew_hat

nancydrew_bed

nancydrew_striped

One thing I noticed was her necklace, the one piece of jewelry that she consistently wears. I couldn't get a very good look at it since there were no close-ups of the piece but it looked like some sort of gold filigree charm. I've been seeing this trend a lot lately - for example, here - and I absolutely love the lady-like simplicity of this look.

nancydrew_breakfast

She also wears a lot of browns mixed in with oranges, creams, and greens and this is an interesting, somewhat masculine, hunting-lodge-derived, contrast to her other more feminine combinations. If says to me, she's not just some cute chick who likes to skip around with a detective hat and a magnifying glass but a bold, adventurous spirit reminiscent of the female explorers of eras past. 15 years from now, she's going to grow into a really awesome woman.

nancydrew_brownjacket

nancydrew_orangecardigan

nancydrew_green

I also love how her Dad dresses just like she does! Or maybe she takes her vintage inspiration from him since he always looks like he just stepped out of a Humphrey Bogart film.

nancydrew_dad2

nancydrew_dad

And lastly, this has nothing to do with Nancy Drew's outfits, but how cool are these glasses that the old Chinese shop clerk is wearing?! I think my grandfather had a pair just like this and the smaller lens is a miniature magnifying glass used for detailed inspections. (He used to work as an apothecary so it was necessary). Now I must ask him about his pair and try to track them down.

nancydrew_glasses

2 comments:

I actually really loved the movie! The wardrobe was priceless, and I would love to get my hands on a copy of each of those outstanding outfits!

Post a Comment

Twitter Facebook Email GooglePlus Stumbleupon Digg More