May 8, 2009

Pollyanna (1960)

It's been raining A LOT lately and during these intense thunderstorms, I like to pop in a cheerful movie and climb into bed and stay there for the entire day. I think the quintessential happy movie must be Pollyanna and I had the sudden urge to see it again today because it just makes me smile.

For those who haven't seen it, it's about a young girl Pollyanna who goes to live with her rich aunt after her parents have died. Her happy-go-lucky spirit ends up changing the attitudes of the people in the whole town. The term "Pollyanna" was derived from this movie and now it refers to anyone who acts ridiculously naive and idealistic, which I actually think is a rather unfair description of the real character of Pollyanna, who was much more multi-dimensional than people give her credit for.

pollyanna_house

pollyanna_diningroom

This is set during the early 1900s and for a lover of Victorian things - like myself - this film is a true delight! The aunt's huge Victorian mansion is just amazing, especially the interiors.

pollyanna_aunt
the parlor where the aunt is doing some embroidery

pollyanna_conservatory
the conservatory, which is a must in any Victorian house

pollyanna_kitchen
the kitchen, which is allegedly connected to the conservatory, although you can't really tell from the set design

pollyanna_profhouse
this is actually a cranky old professor's house and not Pollyanna's but I wanted to show you his gorgeous library/den

pollyanna_car
also, this old vintage car is to die-for, no?

Towards the end of the film, the town holds a big bazaar to raise money for a new orphanage. And I was falling all over myself marveling at the gorgeous Japanese paper lanterns and all the various food booths. There are a lot of great party design ideas here.

pollyanna_lanterns

pollyanna_watermelon

pollyanna_corn

Also...old lady playing drums? Coolness factor +10!

pollyanna_drums

Anyway, the movie is really fun and entertaining and really worth checking out whenever you need a mood lifter.

6 comments:

I've been watching and crying--seeing it again after more than 50 years. And I was also searching for the name of the old lady drummer. Definitely a +10!

Walt Disney's POLLYANNA is a big, visually beautiful wonderful movie with great actors, sets and a feel good 4th of July bazaar with cakes to die for! I don't have time to list all the charms of this magical vintage film from 1960, but every time I go back to the experience of it, I'm GLAD I did...

Any luck identifying the old lady rockin' out on the drums at the bazaar?

I was wondering the same thing. Bet she was in one of the girl bands in the 1940s. Guess we finished watching it on TCM at the same time. Lol

https://tenor.com/view/granny-drummer-pollyanna-old-movies-gif-10412098

Post a Comment

Twitter Facebook Email GooglePlus Stumbleupon Digg More